Barrier-free access and barrier-free infrastructure at the Department of Mechanical Engineering
The TUM Department of Mechanical Engineering offers barrier-free access, at various different points, to the lecture halls and buildings in Boltzmannstrasse and Lichtenbergstrasse.
Access from Boltzmannstrasse
To the right of the main entrance to the department building, there is a ramp for barrier-free access. The right-hand door of the three entrance doors is electrically operated.
If you drive in through the East Entrance (Einfahrt Ost) in the Boltzmannstrasse, you will find three parking spaces for handicapped drivers which are situated between the building sections 1 and 3, 3 and 5, and 5 and 7 (the left-hand parking space in each case). To use the parking spaces, please ring at the entrance barrier.
Access from Lichtenbergstrasse
At the rear of the department building (Section 0), there is a ramp for barrier-free access. The entrance door is electrically operated. The barrier-free entrance can be reached via the vehicle entrance in Lichtenbergstrasse. Opposite the ramp there are two parking spaces for handicapped drivers (the left-hand space in the parking area, as well as an individual parking space in front of the MPA (Materialprüfamt für Maschinenbau). A further parking space for handicapped drivers, which can also be accessed via Lichtenbergstrasse, is to be found between the building sections 4 and 6. To use the parking spaces, please ring at the entrance barrier.
Also accessible from Lichtenbergstrasse is the barrier-free entrance between building section 6 and the ZSK (Zentrum für Schlüsselkompetenzen). The entrance door, as well as the door to the main hall, are electrically operated.
Within the department building, the various different rooms can be accessed using the lifts.
In the following list, you will find directions on how to get to lecture halls and rooms which are less easy to find.
- ZSK (Center of Key Competencies): The ZSK can be accessed via a ramp and an electrically-operated entrance door. As the basement floor is only accessible with difficulty by wheelchair users, courses which are planned to take place there can, on request, be moved to the ground floor.
Please contact the staff at the ZSK:
- Lecture Room MW 2001: In building section 1, take the lift to the first floor and then turn right onto the balcony. Go through the internet area to the lecture room; the entrance doors are to be found to the right and left at the end of the gangway.
- Lecture Room MW 1250: In building section 3, take the lift to the first floor and then turn left into the institute. After passing through the entrance door, turn right in the direction of the balcony (follow the directions to ZS 1350). The glass door in front of ZS 1350, can only be opened from this side. When coming from the other direction, the door is locked. Until this door has been converted, a door stopper has been provided as a temporary solution. There is sign requesting that the door should be left open and the door stopper should not be removed. Once through the glass door, turn right and go over the balcony to lecture room HS 1250.
- Lecture Room MW 1801: In building section 6, take the lift to the second floor and then turn right towards the balcony. Turn right again and go over the balcony to lecture room HS 1801. At this level in the lecture room, there are in addition to lecture-room seating also normal tables.
An alternative route to the lecture room is via building section 7. Take the lift to the second floor and then turn left into the institute. Directly after the entrance door, turn right and then go along the balcony to the lecture room. In both sections of the building it is also possible to access the lecture room on the first floor. However, at this level, only standard lecture-room seating is available for students.
- Seminar Room MW 2250: In building section 3, take the lift to the second floor and then turn right in the direction of the balcony. Then turn right again and go along the balcony to seminar room 2250.
- Lecture Room MW 2050: In building section 2, take the lift to the second floor and then turn right in the direction of the balcony. Then turn left and go through the institute to lecture room 2050.
- Accessible toilets can be found in the main hallway on the ground floor in courtyards 3, 4 and 7.
- Library: The library can be reached using the lift in building section 1. Get out of the lift on the first floor and turn right to the balcony. Go through the internet area and along the balcony to the other side where you will reach the entrance to the library in building section 0.
Alternatively, you can take the lift in building section 0 to the first floor and then press the bell (unlabelled), so that the library staff can open the closed door for you. The library is accessible with a wheelchair; 5 of 6 shelve levels can be accessed. On the first floor a marked working space can be provided on request. On the second level there is further seating space but books are not on display there. If you wish to use the second level, a member of the library staff will accompany you in the lift and open the door for you.
If you have any questions, please contact the library's information desk:
Tel. +49 (0)89 189 659220
For further information on using the library please see this link.
- Stucafé and terrace in front of the Stucafé: The café can be reached via a ramp, which is to be found to the right of the entrance to the department building in the direction of the ZSK (Center of Key Competencies). The door, which is to be found at the end of the ramp and leads directly to the counter in the café, is electrically operated. Using this route, you can also access the Stucafé terrace.
If the café is closed, it is not possible to gain access to the department building through the café. To return to the main hallway, turn left (when looking in the direction of the lake) onto the small paved path. (Beware: it is uneven.) After a few metres, turn sharp right onto the (Beware: unmade) road between the terrace (on your right) and the lake (on your left). Then turn right again in the direction of the Sonnenkäfer day nursery (see directions), go around the day nursery and then keep right in the direction of the department and the ZSK. The entrance door is electrically operated.
If you have any questions regarding barrier-free access, please contact the Gender Equality Office:
Tel.: +49 (0)89 / 289 - 15028
If you have any suggestions for additional information which could be added to the directions, please let us know.