22. Juli 2021 - workshop (online, German): Forschungsdatenmanagement für Daten aus High Performance Computing (HPC) - Best-Practice-Beispiele und Anwendungen
27. & 28. September 2021 - NFDI4Ing conference (online): Stand und Zukunft des Forschungsdatenmanagements in den Ingenieurwissenschaften
Group leader: apl. Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Christian Stemmer
- Team eRIC of the University Library
- Munich Data Science Institute (MDSI)
- Research Data Management of the Leibniz Supercomputing Centre
- High-Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
- RWTH Aachen University: Chair of Fluid Mechanics and Institute of Aerodynamics
NFDI and NFDI4Ing
The National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI) has the objective to systematically index, edit, interconnect and make data from science and research available. A central goal is to establish a research data management in accordance with the FAIR principles:
NFDI4Ing brings together the engineering communities and fosters the management of engineering research data. The consortium represents engineers from all walks of the profession. It offers a unique method-oriented and user-centred approach in order to make engineering research data FAIR.
Archetyp DORIS: High-performance measurement and computation with very large data
NFDI4Ing has taken on the task of structuring the individual needs in engineering research data management. A broad consensus on typical methods and workflows in engineering research has been established and different archetypes are harmonisising the methodological needs. The Chair of Aerodynamics and Fluid Mechanics is in charge of the archetype DORIS: High-performance measurement and computation.
The main goal is making HPC research data findable, accessible, interoperable, reusable. Due to the high storage demands (hundreds of TB or even PB) data are currently immobile and too large to be copied to work stations. The (post-) processing generally is done on HPC systems. Individual and custom fit software solutions that can be transferred to other systems are developed and tested within DORIS.
The main measures are:
- Accessibility and access rights, data security and souvereignty.
- Support for third-party users and community-based training, provision of post-processing algorithms and modules.
- Metadata definitions and terminologies, support to data-generating groups.
- Storage and archive for very larga data.
- Reproducibility on large-scale high-performance systems.
- Data strategy of the federal German Governemnt (2021, German only)
- Proposal NFDI4Ing
- Consortium NFDI4Ing
- National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI) e.V.
- Universität Stuttgart: Institut für Aerodynamik und Gasdynamik (DORIS Pilotnutzer)
- Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC)
- DFG - Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft