Processes and procedures changes during the COVID-19 pandemic

The following processes are temporarily changed due to the corona pandemic. Below you will find summarized information about the affected processes.

If you have further questions, you can contact us at any time via e-mail ( or phone.


Doctoral candidates who in summer semester 2020 were in their last semester of enrollment (6th semester) may apply for an additional 7th semester of enrollment if they are experiencing delays in their doctoral research caused by the coronavirus.  To apply for this exception, please send filled out and signed application to the Faculty Graduate Center Mechanical Engineering. Approved application must then be submitted to the TUM Center for Study and Teaching (

Doctoral students who were regularly enrolled in a lower semester in the summer semester 2020 have the opportunity to submit an application to extend their enrollment to a 7th semester towards the end of their 6th semester. The basis of the application is a significant and verifiable corona-related delay in the progress of the doctorate in the summer semester 2020 (i.e. only reasons for delays that fall in the period from 01.03.2020 - 30.09.2020 can be asserted).

Examples of good reasons are e.g .:

  • Laboratory work, sample collections, field research, etc. planned in the summer semester 2020, which are essential for the progress of the doctorate, were not possible in the long term due to corona-related travel restrictions.
  • Doctoral candidates could not come back to Germany for a longer period of time (usually at least 50%) in the summer semester 2020 due to travel restrictions and could not go to the TUM laboratories that they need for research.
  • The doctoral candidate was seriously ill with Corona in the summer semester 2020 and was dealing wirh major health restrictions.
  • Additional workload for doctoral students in the summer semester 2020 through caring for relatives suffering from Corona, homeschooling, childcare due to daycare closings or similar.

Application prdocess:

  • Doctoral students submit an application to the FGZ MW towards the end of their 6th enrollment semester, including evidence and letter of support from the supervisor.
  • FGZ MW checks the traceability and the justification in relation to the general situation in the institution conducting the doctorate, subject specifics, etc.
  • If the application is approved: FGZ MW forwards the application documents to the TUM GS office.
  • TUM GS office examines the application taking into account the overall situation at TUM / comparability with other submitted applications.
  • If the application is approved, the TUM GS will issue a letter of confirmation.
  • Doctoral candidates submit this confirmation letter to TUM CST ( and apply for an extension of their enrollment there.

For any further questions contact the FGZ MW by phone (089 289 15616) or via email (

Exams at TUM during the COVID-19 pandemic

Dear doctorates,

we would like to draw your attention to the two guidelines for conducting (1.) oral and (2.) written tests during the CoViD-19 pandemic. The latest version of this is now available for download at


Entry in the doctoral list

Please send us all the necessary documents for entry in the doctoral list by post or drop them in the post box in front of our office (MW0026b). Please make sure that the documents are completed correctly and that they contain all the necessary signatures so that we can complete the registration as soon as possible.

Documents to be submitted are:

  • Application for the acceptance as doctoral candidate, fill out this form on DocGS. (For detailed instructions, see the TUM Graduate School page);
  • Completed and signed supervision agreement - do this with your supervisor;
  • A certified copy of the university degree and certificate (for foreign masters degrees, please include Transcript of Records or Diploma Suppliment) or the translation of your university certificate by a sworn translator, if the university certificates are not issued in German or English;
  • Identification document (copy of your passport/identity card with a blackened number);
  • if done, an Expose to the dissertation topic;
  • Abstract of your Master's thesis in German or English (if your Master's degree was acquired at a foreign university);
  • Curriculum vitae with details of previous education - schools, studies, etc., (if your Master's degree was acquired at a foreign university).

The information events "Start of your doctorate" will take place as online events starting July 2020. Please register for these via E-Mail (

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at


Submission of the dissertation

  1. Electronic submission:
    Under the given circumstances, the dissertation can still be submitted electronically to DocGS at any time. Our confirmation can also be made from the home office, so there are no restrictions for you here. If we have any questions we will contacted you via e-mail.
  2. Submission in the Doctoral Office (with Ms. Reisenauer)

    The colleagues from the Doctoral Office are currently not having opening hours for personal appointments, so personal submission is unavailable.

    We would therefore like to ask you to send all of your documents to the Doctoral Office by post. It is still being clarified whether Ms. Reisenauer can organize a day of attendance so that the submitted documents can be forwarded to Faculty Graduate Center.

    You are therefore welcome to send your documents by post or hand them in personally at the post office of TUM.

    Please use the following address:

    Technische Universität München
    TUM Center for Study and Teaching
    Zentrale Prüfungsangelegenheiten
    Promotionen / Frau Reisenauer
    Arcisstr. 21
    80333 München

Thank you for your understanding.

If you have further questions, you can contact us via e-mail (

Internationalization funding

Following information has been taken from TUM GS Werbsite.

Based on the recommendations of the Robert Koch Institute, the travel information of the Federal Foreign Office and the TUM regulations to limit the spread of the Coronavirus, all travels shall be limited as much as possible. All doctoral candidates are highly adviced to wait with travel bookings for the next couple of weeks.

Regulations for reimbursement

As a general rule, the TUM-GS may reimburse nonrefundable expenses in following cases:

  • Destination of the international activity is part of the international risk area, as defined by the Robert Koch Institute. In this case, the activity must be cancelled.
  • Cancelation/postponement of the conference, workshop, research stay etc. by the organizing/host institution.
  • Cancelation/postponement of the internationalization activity due to quarantine orders, care of family members (e.g. caused by closedown of schools and child-care facilities), travel restrictions etc.
  • Prohibition of business trips by the Academic Department/School.  

For reimbursement application, please submit following documents via post/Hauspost to the TUM-GS Management Office:

  • Completed TUM-GS Internationalization Application Form (to be generated via DocGS), signed by all parties.
  • Completed International Funding Table.
  • Relevant receipts, confirmation of payment etc.
  • Notification of cancelation from the organizing institution (e.g. email), or explanation of the doctoral candidate why the internationalization activity is cancelled.
  • Confirmation from the doctoral candidate that he/she has applied for refund from the accommodation, airline etc. and that any refund received/to be received is mentioned in the application for refund from the TUM-GS.
  • Additional documents that may support the application.     

Please note that the refund process is currently delayed due to limited university operations. We will process refund requests as soon as possible. Please kindly refrain from sending inquiries about anticipated refund time or the receipt of your application documents.   

Please note that the sum of the reimbursement will be reduced from your individual TUM-GS internationalization budget. Therefore, we recommend to contact your research group first about possible refund options.


  • As a general rule, the TUM-GS cannot reimburse any expenses caused by cancelation of internationalization activities by yourself that are not in international risk areas, as defined by the Robert Koch Institute.
  • In case of unnecessary travel bookings, the TUM-GS may decline travel reimbursement applications.

The TUM-GS is working on solutions that may support individual cases of hardship. Please contact your Graduate Center concerning this matter. 

Please contact your Graduate Center of the TUM-GS Management Office via email to

Virtual examination

Due to the current situation doctoral examinations can be held virtually. This means that the chairperson, all examiners and the doctoral candidate to be examined can take part in the examination virtually.

However, you should also be aware that your exam can take place to a later date. If you want to wait until a regular presence examination is possible, this is seen as preferable.

If the rigorosum is to be carried out as a virtual exam, all participants, including you as a doctoral candidate, must confirm in writing that you agree to a virtual exam. This confirmation must state the current situation as the reason for carrying out a virtual examination.

In case you choose this your supervisor will inform you about the exact course of the examinaton.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at

Frequently Asked Questions

What is subject-specific training and transferable skills training?

Subject-specific training can take the form of seminars, colloquia, special lectures, summer and winter schools, etc. Transferable skills training refers to soft skills courses.

How can I register for the kick-off seminar?

Once the formal checks have taken place, you are a provisional member and can register for the kick-off seminar. The Registration starts 8 weeks before.

How do I enrol for a doctoral programme?

After your name has been added to the doctoral candidacy list, you may enrol. For further information, please see:

How do I submit confirmation of participation certificates?

If you are an automatic member, you will have an account on the DocGS system and can upload your certificates to the account. If you are a voluntary member, please collect your confirmation of participation certificates and submit them with your dissertation.

I am a voluntary member and wish to submit my dissertation. How do I do this?

Please request the compilation of a transcript of records in good time by sending an e-mail to You will receive a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and instructions on how to compile the transcript. Please return the completed list, together with scans of your confirmation of participation certificates. When it has been checked and the list is alright, you will receive confirmation that you can send the list to your supervisor for their signature. (The whole process can take 1-2 weeks.) Finally we will confirm your membership of the DocGS system and the Dean's Office will confirm that you have been enrolled in the doctoral candidacy list.
When that has taken place, you will receive a confirmation e-mail and you will then be able to arrange an appointment with the Doctoral Office. If you wish to end your voluntary membership, please send an e-mail to

Where can I get confirmation that I have been enrolled in the doctoral candidacy list?

If you are a voluntary member, you can request confirmation by sending an e-mail to Automatic members can download the confirmation at any time from the DocGS system.

Supervisor Switch

Please write an informal letter about supervisor switch. This letter needs to be signed by your previous and new supervisor.

Please forward the letter to FGZ MW.

Termination of the doctoral candidacy

If you have decided to terminate your doctoral candidacy, we need an informal letter. This letter is to be signed by you and your supervisor.

Then you will be signed out from the doctoral candidacy list.

Switching of Graduate Centre

If you would like to switch graduate centres, please contact FGZ MW and the new graduate centre. The next steps will be coordinated among both graduate centres.

Faculty Change

If you have found a new supervisor at another faculty and would like to switch faculty, please submit an informal application to FGZ MW. The application must be signed by your previous and new supervisor.

Further coordination will be done by the graduate centres amongst themselves.

Name Change

If you have changed your name, please send a copy of the document confirming your name change and your changed e-mail address to

We will change your name on DocGS.

A change on TUMonline is NOT sufficient.