The TUM Graduate School and Faculty Graduate Center supports you in your internationalization activities in different ways.

Please refer to the individual guidelines for the following support measures:

Internationalization support from TUM GS

Who can be funded? 

  • Doctoral candidates that are TUM research and teaching associates
  • Scholarship holders with and without work place (TUM, DAAD, DFG, CSC, foundations, scholarship holders of companies)

Who cannot receive support?

  • Doctoral candidates with external employer
  • Privateers
  • Freelances
  • Members of Thematic Graduate Centers (TGC) with external financial support: e.g. IGSSE, GSB, TUM Create, HELENA, HEPP, KGk, as well as possible future externally funded TGCs
  • --> You are welcome to apply for the Internationalization Grant!

Volunteer members please use the following Internationalization Voucher.

Automatic members of TUM Graduate School and scholarship holders (FGZ MW has to create the application manually, please get in contact with the responsible personcan create their Voucher on DocGS under "Reimbursement: International activities".

Here you can find the Internationalisierungsmaßnahmen, that are funded.

Required documents for Doctoral candidates that are TUM research and teaching associates

  1. Business/education trip approval and reimbursement application from the relevant travel expense office
  2. Application for TUM-GS internationalization support, which requires prior approval from the relevant Graduate Center
    -> for automatic members of TUM GS the application has to be created on docGS. In case of applications before the feedback talk, the application must be activated manually in advance by the Graduate Center.
  3. All relevant original documents/payment confirmation (in Germans or English)

The application documents must be submitted to the TUM-GS office after completion of the journey. The doctoral candidate will receive the reimbursement directly on his/her account. As an alternative, the chairs/institute can pay the costs for the journey in advance. In this case, the TUM-GS will reimburse the costs according to relevant BKZ to the chair/institute directly.

Required documents for scholarship holders (e.g. DAAD, Chinese Scholarship Council, Begabtenförderungswerke etc.)

Please be aware:

All travel expenses are reimbursed in accordance with the Bavarian Travel Expense Act (BayRKG). Useful information on the regulations of the BayRKG can be found at TUM Dienstleistungskompass.

Initiative Funds

Members of the Faculty Graduate Center for Mechanical Engineering may also apply for the Initiative Fund. This is possible in combination with the internationalization voucher.

Per funding is possible up to max. 5000 Euro.

For more information, please click here.

Internationalization Grant

According to the provisions of the Bavarian Budget Law, the following groups of graduates can not apply for the regular TUM-GS internationalization promotion ("Internationalization Voucher"): 

  • Employees and scholarship holders of companies, universities of applied sciences, external research institutes, etc. (also from other authorities, universities, ministries, provincial institutions)
  • Employees of associated institute of the TUM (e.g. UnternehmerTUM, Fortiss etc.) 
  • Self-financiers or individuals

Instead these doctoral students could apply for Internationalization Grant in amount of 1600 EUR from 01.01.2017

  • a research stay at a scientific institute or a research-based industrial company abroad
  • the presentation of their scientific results at international conferences and meetings abroad, as well as
  • participation in international professional summer / winter schools, workshops, etc.


TUM GS grants two applications per faculty every calendar year.

For more information, see Application!


Do regulations of Bavarian Travel Costs Act apply for scholarship holders?

→ Yes, the TUM-GS refunds travel expenses for all members according to the Bavarian Travel Costs Act.  

What should be paid attention to when a private trip is sponsored by internationalization funds?

→ if the internationalization funding is linked to a private journey, the travel costs shall be refunded as if only the involved international program had been implemented. For earlier / later arrivals / departures due to holidays, a flight price comparison must be submitted, which makes it clear that the ticket price does not increase due to the private trip. The flight price comparison is to be made on the same day as the booking and at the same airline. Extra costs have to be taken over by the doctoral student.

What are the upper limits for overnight stays in foreign country? 

→ This document fmbl/2017/01/fmbl can be used to check the standard reimbursement for foreign overnight stays. Should the cost of the accommodation exceed the maximum amount, the necessity for the travel expenses must be conclusively justified. If no need can be demonstrated, the price difference must be taken by the doctoral students themselves.

What should be paid attention to for the billing of taxi and car rental costs?

→ These costs can only be reimbursed if there are valid reasons. Unfamiliarity of the destination alone can not be accepted as a reason. A corresponding conclusive justification must be submitted for billing purposes.

Can TUM-GS members, who are currently in foreign country, apply for internationalization funding for their travel to TUM?

→ No, the TUM-GS Internationalization funds can only be applied for international programs outside Germany.  

What should be paid attention to when inviting an international examiner to an oral examination?

→ In order to enable a smooth and fast reimbursement process, the travel expenses and accommodation costs of the guest should be interpreted by the chair or by the doctoral student. As usual, TUM-GS reimburses the costs to the chair or to the doctoral student.

How are the 4 weeks of a foreign research stay counted? 

→ Usually 28-30 days togther in a row (including weekends, but without arrival and departure days). 

Can doctoral students with TUM Hiwi Contract apply for TUM-GS Internationalization funds?

→ No, PhD students with Hiwi employment can not apply for it. Instead, the Internationalization Grant is available for them.

Do internationalization programs count as a service trip or a training trip? When is it an assignment? 

→ If the doctoral student has an employment status, it is necessary to check whether the trip is performed in the interests of the chair and then accordingly approved and billed as a service trip.

→ If, besides the interests of the service, a personal interest exists, e.g. in the course of a professional and / or personal further education during the execution of the journey, the approval and billing is carried out as a training trip.

→ The Bavarian Travel Costs Act (BayRKG) does not define a time frame for service / training trips. For this reason, longer stays abroad can in principle be approved as a service / training trip. An allocation is referred to a temporary transfer to a non-TUM workplace. Usually the salary of the employee is also taken by the new employer for the duration of the assignment. An allocation must always be requested separately from the responsible personnel and then approved by the Land Office for Finances.

Can internationalization programs in Germany (e.g. conferences, workshops) be refunded?

→ Internationalization programs can only be refunded for volunteering members of TUM Graduate School.

What happens if an applicant cannot participate in the internationalization program ?

→ any costs incurred can only be reimbursed if there are justifiable grounds for non-participation. The reasons for this are, inter alia, illness (with proof), cancellation by the organizer, special business reasons, etc. Reimbursement takes place within the scope of the regular, available budget and is deducted accordingly. If the journey is not made without good reason, any refunds / reductions already received must be repaid entirely to the TUM-GS. Special case of non-participation due to missing visa: if the visa was rejected without comprehensible reasons. It is not a valid reason for the fact that it is foreseeable that the processing time for the visa application is clearly too short. If, despite a short lead-time, the doctoral student applies for a visa and book the trip, he or she will book the trip at his own risk. Exception: proof of the chair that, despite a short lead-time, was expressly inscribed on the booking of the trip      

Can internationalization programs be supported after the end of doctorate?

→ in individual cases and after prior consultation with the TUM-GS office, only voluntary doctoral cnadidates with internationalization programs directly related to the doctoral studies (for example presentation of the dissertation / research results at international conferences) can be sponsored up to three months after the date of the doctoral examination. In case of funding for a foreign stay, the journey must be at least within these three months

Who can apply for the Partnership Mobility Grant or Diversity Supplement Travel Grant?

→ Both options are open to all TUM doctoral students with regular TUM-GS membership, which means external graduates can also apply for it.

Are multiple applications possible?

→ The Partnership Mobility Grant is a one-time funding and can only be granted once. This also applies if the maximum amount was not reached.
→ The Diversity Supplement Travel Grant can be applied several times.  

Can an exchange at TUM Create in Singapore be funded through the Partnership Mobility Grant?

→ No, an exchange at TUM Create can not be sponsored by the Partnership Mobility Grant.